As a sales rep who works hard to get clients, I’ve had my fair
share of excuses as to why potential clients don’t advertise with me.
In fact, I hear these excuses EVERY DAY.
You know the ones I’m talking about:
“Let me think about it.”
“I’m not ready to advertise yet.”
“I’ll call you within a week and let you know.”
“I’m talking with a couple other ad agencies, so I’ll get back to you.”
“I’ll probably advertise in a couple of months or so. When I do, I’ll call you.”
What the real problem is … they have a hard time making decisions and spending money. It doesn’t matter that people know it will benefit them, bring them new business/clients, for them it’s just making a commitment and following through that is the real issue.
How can you overcome these excuses or at the very least find out if they might be a potential client:
1. Let me think about it – this is a normal reaction, which means one of two things… you either didn’t generate their interest with your presentation or you they need to process what you said. Try this…what is there to think about? Do you still have questions that I have not answered yet? Let’s talk it out and remove the negatives that you may have.
2. I’m not ready to advertise yet – this is normally a polite way of saying no or I really can’t afford it. So ask this ok what is holding you back? time? upcoming events? finances? Talk to me about why you’re not ready to move forward. Maybe we can come up with a plan of action that benefit your company. Their answer will let you know whether to pursue them as a potential client or not.
3. I’ll call you within a week and let you know – This is a blow off, you probably won’t get a call and they won’t be taking yours either. Try saying this… is there someone else I need to talk to? Do we need to go over something that you are just not sure of? I would be glad to explain something that may be confusing to you.
4. I’m talking with a couple other ad agencies, so I’ll get back to you – for some this may be true but normally this is just a cover to turn you away.
I understand. Could you give me 5 minutes to explain what we offer so that you are well informed when talking to the other ad agencies. Then add I would be glad to sit with you and do a comparison of all of the agencies involved to see which one would benefit you the most once you have compiled all of the information. How about I come by (3 Days Max) in a few days and help you decipher the info you have collected.
5. I’ll probably advertise in a couple of months or so. When I do, I’ll call you – normally this means it is never going to happen. So the best thing to say is we are running some great specials right now. If you sign up today at this price we would be glad to defer your ad so that you can get ready for that big special you plan on having.
Overcoming excuses are the hardest part of any sales reps job. But if you use questions to determine if the excuses are genuine fears or just blow offs, will save you lots of time and effort in the long run.
Your time is too valuable to waste so make the most out of the time you are in front of a potential client to qualify return visits or follow ups.
Have a Profitable Day!