How many times have you been approached by the media with the latest and greatest ways to promote your business, followed by the word “guaranteed”?
Honestly folks there are no guarantee’s when it comes to media marketing and advertising. You just have to find what works for you and capitalize on it.
I makes me so angry when I hear media sources, be it radio, newsprint, magazines, internet or others promise a potential client a guaranteed ROI.
It’s a lie!!!! You can promote your business all you want, but until the person seeing it actually wants or needs your product or services it means absolutely nothing to them. So when you buy the newspaper ad and run it once or twice (because it is all you can afford) it does you no good. People buy less and less on impulse due to our economy and higher prices and more on the planned or scheduled budget.
I’m not saying there aren’t still impulse buyers who really dig the BOGO offers or the get this free when you buy 2 items of equal value. There are always going to be people who do it. What I am saying is that it’s just not like it use to be.
With today’s technology and the internet, search engines make buying alot more competitive. There is always a company offering products cheaper and they will throw in free shipping. Oh Joy!!!! I get free shipping, look at the money I saved. How many times have you searched the internet for an item looking for the cheaper price before you go to the store to buy it or you search you local stores before you finally give in and buy it cheaper online.
Don’t be fooled by the guarantee’s that media people use. As in life there are no guarantee’s when it comes to marketing and advertising your business.
I tell all my clients the following:
1. I do not guarantee you will get a response.
2. Marketing is not about ROI, it’s about being consistent and having longevity, which will down the road increase the ROI.
3. If you are trying to get immediate money coming in… don’t spend your money here. I am not about saving your business, I am about you having a visual and audio presence over a long period of time. Quick fixes are for suckers, which is why a lot of businesses are no longer in business!
4. Don’t ignore the advice I give you, while thinking in the back of your mind that it is still about the right now. I am here to help you grow your business and evolve your social media.
5. Do the things I suggest. Don’t procrastinate and don’t think its a waste of time. Had I thought that I would no longer be in business. 🙂
6. Finally don’t come crying to me 2 weeks after your advertising starts because you are not getting anything. Remember #3 – Quick fixes. This tells me you did not value anything I talk to you about, nor did you do the things I suggested.
7. You came to me for help, if you don’t value my advice then quite asking.
8. Nothing in life is free, I charge for consulting (My time is valuable) I charge for my time creating ads (My time is valuable) ,writing commercials (My time is valuable) , and yes my airtime is also worthy of paying for when we get over 8 Million hits a month to the website and over 500,00 listeners. So when I quote you a price, it’s already configured with discounts based on your budget. By asking me if I can go cheaper is insulting and show’s you still don’t value what I do.
9. My contract is for 6 months or a year. I go through everything…EVERYTHING before ever getting to the contract, so once you agree and put your signature on the contract, it is legal and binding and my attorney has a 100% success rate when you skip out so don’t sign if you are going to change your mind 2 months down the road and quit making payments.
10. Now that you are a new client here is the things we need to do to get you toward your goals.
Not everyone is this forthcoming and it will normally cost you mega dollars when you make a mistake and try to get out of a contract. So if someone guarantee’s you will get a response and you don’t have someone go through the 10 steps above with you before you ever sign a contract for marketing and advertising….be afraid, be very afraid.
And also, if they tell you that their demographics is hundreds of thousands of people, all of which is going to see your ad, smile and nod, and remember that just because their demographics are hundreds of thousands doesn’t mean all of them will see it, it just means they want to impress you with big numbers. The general rule is 1/2 of 1% will see it and out of that number 1/2 of 1% will check it out, and 1/2 of 1% may act. You do the math.
There are no guarantee’s when it comes to media marketing and advertising! Media Salespeople are after a paycheck, they live on commission so take heed to what they are saying. It’s not about you, it’s all about them.
Ok so now that you know how I feel about media people your probably laughing because that’s what I am. Honestly…. I have grown to a higher plane. My heart is about helping people grow their business without breaking them in the process. I don’t believe in being the reason a business closes, I believe in being the one that helps them stand out and grow as a unique beacon in the crowd.
I hope you have a wonderful week. Be blessed!!!